If a citation was issued in error, or you are unsatisfied with an appeal decision, you have the right to submit an appeal. The appeal and any accompanying documentation must be received by the Department of Public Safety Adjudication Committee within ten (10) business days of the date of citation issuance, or within ten (10) business days of the notification of denied appeal decision. Please be aware that a citation may not be appealed if it has already been paid. Submit your appeal prior to making payment on a citation.
Grounds for Appeal
- You have provided substantial evidence that you did not commit the violation for which the citation was issued
- You may have committed the violation, but circumstances were not under your control,
- Prior to being issued the citation, you made some demonstrated attempt to notify the Department of Public Safety of the extenuating situation
- An emergency or medical condition prohibited your ability to remove the vehicle
- Mechanical errors made the vehicle impossible to remove, and you contacted the Department of Public Safety regarding the mechanical error.
- Poor time-management
- Parking unpaid or without permit for a short time
- Inability to find authorized parking spot
- Having the wrong permit for space occupied
- Failure to obtain a temporary permit
- Failure to notice parking signs
- Failure to display a parking permit
- Disagreement with, or inability to pay, the citation penalties
- Any violation of the stated Rules and Regulations found here: https://transportation.boisestate.edu/rules-and-regulations/
Submitting an Appeal
An appeal can be submitted using the button below. Please be aware a citation may not be appealed if it has already been paid. Please submit your appeal prior to making payment on a citation.
A decision will be made using the submitted information and evidence. Additional information will not be accepted after the decision has been made. You will be notified of the appeal decision to the email or phone number submitted within ten (10) business days of receipt of the appeal. If your appeal is denied, the fine is due and payable within ten (10) business days of receipt of the adjudication.
No late fees or other penalties are applied while a citation is under appeal. However your vehicle may still be eligible for impound if the criteria is met including citations in the appeals process.
If you would like to reduce the amount you owe, you have the option to attend a Ticket Diversion class. Please click the following link to learn more: Ticket Diversion.
If your appeal is denied and you do not agree with the denial you have the right to request a review of your appeal by the Board of Appeals. The Board of Appeals is a third-party board comprised of Boise State University employees and students. This board meets by request only.
Prior to requesting review by the Board of Appeals the citation must be paid in full; including a processing fee, in the Transit Center. A request for review by the Board of Appeals can be submitted using the button at the top of this page. Please visit our Transit Office located at 1910 University Dr. Boise ID, 83725 if additional assistance is needed.
The decision of the Board of Appeals will represent the final decision of the University on the matter. Notification of the Board of Appeals decision will be sent within five (5) working days of the date of the final decision. In the event that the Board of Appeals reverses the initial appeal, the University will post a refund of the citation payment to the customer that will be credited to the account.
Citations more than ten business days old cannot be submitted traditionally. If you have unavoidably passed the ten (10) day deadline, please click the following link for the Deadline Waiver Form: Request to Waiver Appeal Deadline Form
The Adjudication Committee will respond to your deadline waiver in a timely manner. There are two steps to the Deadline Waiver process. First, The Adjudication Committee will determine if your reasoning for missing the deadline is valid. If your reasoning is sound they will move the appeal through the appeal process outlined above. If the Adjudication Committee denies your Deadline Waiver payment of the citation is due within fourteen (14) business days of the waiver denial to avoid late fees.
Note: Transportation and Parking Services or the Board of Appeals will not review citations over twenty-five (25) calendar days old or any citations that have been sent to collections.